Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Artisan Tostitos




Really? Artisan Tostitos? There may well be a few old-school-tortilla-making abuelitas in the factory, but that does not make your chips artisan. Those ladies could easily work in the accounting office.

Let's just establish rule number one here: Multinational corporations can not make artisan food. I am sure other rules will coalesce as I find more heinous abuses of the term "artisan".

Hm- you know, looking at this again, it seems they are not calling the actual chips artisan, but rather the recipe. So let's just go ahead and establish rule number two: Recipes can not be artisan. There is no tradition of recipe creation, handed down over generations. My bubbe never sat me down to talk about the old days, when they had to come up with recipes in the snow. Uphill. Both ways. In the dark.

And so That is Not Artisan begins. I am ready to crusade against the abuse of the term artisan. Join me. Send me your photos/links/examples and we'll tear these fakers a new one.

7 comments:

  1. Your blog is hilarious. I just found myself reading the entire thing backwards to find each of your "rules". Perhaps they deserve their own page on here. Either way, this is some finely crafted artisanal humor. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I have been looking for the rules for 10 mins! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love these chips

    http://artisanstuff.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just read your entire blog, laughing - well, snorting - the whole time.

    Great writing. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found you as well - a woman after my own heart! Love it...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing this. I tried these chips and they are delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love your site and the passion, intellect and anger that goes into it. We have an "industrial artisan bakery" in the UK Montana. This is a huge problem in the UK now. Where are you list of rules for describing artisan?
    Honey in the hearth
    michael

    ReplyDelete